Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Booze, Bribery, and a man named Bob


            As a wholesaler of wine & spirit you find yourself in all kinds of weird places.  Quite often the people you work with are also a little odd.  But that’s where the challenge and fun of working with people comes into play.
            Not all people are fun to work with.  Some people are a downright nightmare to work with and they seem to work hard at making it difficult.  In my “rookie” year at the wholesaler I learned a lesson the hard way in just how difficult people can be.
            One account I had was notoriously a “difficult” account to work with.  Not only did you have to write a minimal shelf order but you had to transcribe the order to the companies own manifest for double checking.  The manager of the account, Bob, would frequently cut the order and make you do the whole process over again so it didn’t look like he was being lazy.  (you were doing his job for him by the way)
            On my second or month on the job I was finally cut loose on my own to take care of my accounts.  Bob was out that morning doing god knows what and I wrote a conservative shelf order.  Because of the pricing structure of the chain neither of us controlled the prices they were getting.  So it didn’t matter what I sent it was at the correct price for his shelf.
            I noticed a few of the displays on the floor for his ad were extremely low on product.  Being a rookie I wanted to be sure I didn’t run out and so I added a few cases to the order to restock the displays without being excessive.
            The next day I got a heated phone call from Bob.  I’ll spare you the details but I told him I was sorry and I would be taking the product back, no problem.  I was trying to help and meant nothing by it.
            Fast forward to a few months later.  As a company we were chasing a huge number on several products I sold.  Bob’s account was known to do a lot of volume on these items so I knew I should pitch him. 
            I walked in and saw him by the front door.  “Hey Bob!” I called out to him.  “Bob…hey Bob” and he kept walking away from me.  I walked behind him across the entire store like a little kid trying to get a parents attention.  “Um…Bob…hey Bob…wait up!”  He finally stopped in the back corner of the store as if he ran out of real estate.  “What the f@ck do you want?” 
            Pitched him what was the biggest order I had ever presented to the store.  It was all stuff he was going to run on his ad and he would probably go through it regardless.  I was able to get him the pricing he needed in advance to get the sale.  It was a win/win scenario if I’ve ever seen one.  “F@ck you…no” and he walked off.
            When I returned to my office and told my managers he said “No” they both shook their heads and looked at each other.  “Anything in there?” one of my managers said to the other.  With that he opened a locked drawer and pulled out an envelope with $100 bills.  He grabbed $300 and put them into an envelope and handed it to me.  He then pulled out the “dealer loader” page and ran through items connected to the order.  “Give him the cash and the things I just told you about…don’t worry about the case requirements I’ll override them.”
            For those of you not familiar with the concept of a “dealer loader” its merchandise used to enhance a display or to give away to the public.  “Enter to win this TV” or some branded kind of merchandise.  Frequently these items end up going home with the manager or the salesman and never make it to the display.  They’re also usually attached to enormous numbers of cases to keep it profitable.
            I walked back into the store and this time had them track down Bob for me.  He was in the back so I knew he had less real estate to drag me across.  I found him and got a lovely “Whaaaat?!?”  when I saw him. 
            Pulling him aside from the rest of the group I walked through the order again.  “Damnit I said NO and I meant it!”  I acknowledged our earlier conversation and then pulled out the list and the cash. 
            “If you take the order like I have it written here we’ll give you all this ($600 worth of stuff including a full size basketball hoop, inflatable boat, and other crap) plus $300 cash.  But we need to write it this month.”
            He looked over the list and smiled.  He looked at me and said, “Ok…bill it this month and ship it next week…thanks” 
As he reached over to grab the envelope with the cash I pulled it back and put it in my pocket.  “You know what Bob…I changed my mind…don’t worry about the order.”  And with that I turned and casually strolled away with Bob in tow screaming profanity.  I never turned around in the tirade that followed but I can imagine it looked similar to our exchange earlier only with an angry child throwing a tantrum.
I returned the cash to my boss and told them what happened.  Strangely, they already knew as Bob had called them to complain.  He also had me banned and barred from the store and threatened to put a restraining order on me…for not bribing him.  The managers smoothed things over and made the sale without me in the mix.
At the end of my first 6 months I went in for my performance review.  The management had decided to pull me from my current territory and division and move me to a rural route in a different division.  At the top of the list why I was being “demoted” was the experience with Bob.  The VP at the company said, “Honestly, I’m amazed we’re letting you stay here after you were thrown out of an account in your first 6 months.”  When I defended what I did about what had happened they said “I can’t believe that’s true…and we’re not going to discuss it.”
My now “former” managers were in the room and they denied it ever happening.  My new manager was in the room and was shaking his head in disgust.  He had already told me he knew what had happened and was on my side.  Apparently the entire wine & spirit community heard about it and I was somewhat of a hero for all the people who Bob had treated like shit.
Flash forward a decade or more.  I learned more and had more fun working for Tom in that “punishment” territory than I did in the first one.  He and I are still in touch today and I give him credit for being the type of manager I would want to become some day. 
Bob, on the other hand, hadn’t had the level of “personal growth” I had in that time.  He had been fired from the chain as a scandal about bribery and even extortion surround him.  Apparently another company had enough of his actions and ran it up the flagpole.  In the middle of charges being filed on him Bob got cancer and ultimately died.
I have never wished ill will on another human being in my life.  Having lost family members to cancer, I always feel bad when I hear someone losing that battle.  However, when I heard Bob had died I didn’t feel bad.  I didn’t smile either, for the record, but I definitely felt a sense of Karmic justice.
I may have lost the account and the territory but I kept my integrity.  From that instance on the two managers who sent me into the account that day avoided me if at all possible.  Occasionally I would walk by their office and I would hear them go silent, as children do when they are planning mischief.  Sometimes the big sale isn’t worth the cost on your soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment