Wednesday, March 25, 2015

The "evil" manager Round 2... FIGHT


            With a deep sigh, its time for another installment of the one end of the managerial spectrum to stay away from.  That’s right, time to hear more horror stories from my old manager.  This time its got a positive spin on it.
            In my time as an Internet Sales Manager at the dealership I was the longest consecutive person in that position.  People had been promoted, fired, or a combination and ended up in the same role again.  The beauty of the position was it completely ignored what you were told about how to get promoted in the company.  (different blog)
            We were having our entire building renovated and we were moving offices for the fourth or fifth time to accommodate construction.  The three of us at the time were a little upset that the process took several hours to move and setup everything but we were still expected to make calls and have the same response time to emails.  This is kind of difficult when your computer is in a box waiting for you to finish reassembling your desk.
            This time one of our crew was off and the remaining two were moving for the three of us.  Needless to say we were less than excited and were having fun commiserating in the process.  Out of the blue one of our junior salesman stops in to avoid doing his work and talk to us.
            “Where’s mike?”  now this salesman was a bit of an arrogant and/or nosey person who would be upset about not getting enough deals but spent his time playing games on his phone or hiding from customers.  Frequently he would come back to our office to kill as much time as we would let him away from the managers who could actually fire him for this.  Today he happened to hit a nerve and I decided it was time to teach the nosey kid a lesson.
            “Mike quit.”  I looked at my buddy, who shared the same feelings toward him, and he instantly got where I was going with this.  “Yeah, he told us he was done and we’re just packing up his stuff for his wife.”  He gestured to all of Mikes stuff in a box on the table.
            “Nuh uh” and after a few shocked seconds he left, mission accomplished.  After about 10 to 20 minutes he came back.  “Hey, um…were you guys just messing with me?”  But he was asking it in an alarmed tone instead of a “you got me tone”.
            “Yeah, we’re tired of you coming back here and bugging us…you can’t hide from your job…” and with that he turned ghost white.  I stopped talking and asked “Why?” feeling something was amiss.
            “OH CRAP…I just told Gene (our General Manager) he quit!” and at that point I faught the urge to slap him, open handed, full bore as I walked out to cut off the damage he had done.
            “Justin to Gene’s office” rang out over the PA system as I was in the doorway.  I stopped dead in my tracks and hung my head.  Lets just say the words I muttered to the junior salesman had an impact as he slowly backed away from me and never came back to our office again.
            I ran in the door and I see my General Manager and my (evil) manager on every phone in the office trying to reach Mike.  I’m not kidding they had cell phones and land lines ringing trying to get in touch with him. 
            “I already know…it was a prank…I was trying to teach…” and with that they pulled the phones from their ears. 
            “So you’re saying Mike didn’t quit.”  I shook my head yes.  And with that it began.  My general manager cracked a smile in his own twisted way and hung his head.  My other manager turned beet red and it began.
            “WHYYYYYYY WOULD YOU DO THAT?”  He ranted and raved for a few minutes and I figured I had it coming so I didn’t say a word.  “If you spent half as much time selling cars as you do jacking around you’d be the top guy here!”
            As it sat at the time I was the number 3 guy in the dealership that month and only because I hadn’t written any “house deals” from managers that month.  So, in essence I was the legitimate top guy that month but on my own accord without a sweetheart deal handed to me.
            It was also at this point I realized I was standing fully upright, rigid even.  My jaw was clinched and my hands were in fists.  The kind of fists where you can see the tendons and bone glowing white through the knuckles.  I realized I was about to knock him out if I didn’t change my mind, and fast.
            I took a breath and relaxed.  From my time as a bouncer I remembered the most disrespectful thing you could do to a drunk was to put your hands behind your back.  It’s a visual que that you’re not afraid of them and you could take the hit.
            I slid my hands behind my back and looked my “evil” manager dead in the eye and said, “Ok”.  That’s it…nothing more, no implication of evil or being upset or really engaging in any other act than acknowledging him.  “Ok” in the same tone you’d give a grocery store clerk asking if plastic was ok.
            “Noooooo…that’s not ok…whats going on…whats wrong…what aren’t you telling me…” his tone went from aggressive and about to lose a few teeth in the fit of rage I was going to unleash to fearful and “in the dark”.
            “I need to get back to selling cars now…are we done?”  I looked at my General Manager who was in a state of shock.  I found out later he was waiting for me to unleash hell and had gone into “fear mode” trying to figure out how to stop everything.
            While my “evil” manager was still trying to figure out what I meant by “OK” I walked out the door.  Not angry or upset…just casually strolled out the door and made sure not to slam the door as I closed it.  In doing so I saw the start of an hour long conversation between the two on what had just happened.
            I realized in a split second how to handle this jerk.  He was the kind of person who enjoyed manipulating and instigating drama.  By simply not engaging in his games I not only pissed him off, but avoided being tied up in a aggravating situation.
            For the next month or so I decided to take it to an extreme.  I made it a point to use as few words as possible with him as I could.  “Yes” or “No” were ideal…almost like the bit from the original Tron movie from the 70’s. 
“Did you they tell you anything about their trade?”
I nodded and said “Yes”.
“Ok…what did they tell you?”  I pointed at the trade appraisal slip with notes on it.  “Are you going to talk to me today?” 
I barely smiled and said “No” and then walked back to my customer.  Its important to note that I had given him everything he needed to complete his job as my manager without engaging in the typical drama that came with it.  It was heaven, the guy was so put off by my activity he started avoiding me whenever possible.
To save face he even handed a few deals off to other managers because he was “busy” when I had a deal to work.  The culmination of the over simplified communication project was during a contest where the managers were picking teams.  I had just finished my best month in the dealership and was the salesman of the month.  Interesting how that worked out when I wasn’t fighting pointless arguments for his amusement every 30 minutes.
“I can’t pick Justin because he’s mad at me or something…”  and the room didn’t laugh like he hoped.  It was the awkward chuckle you give someone so it isn’t creepy quiet.  Two of the other managers had to look away because they began to laugh at the reaction of not only me, but the room.
The lesson learned in this case is to choose your battles wisely.  Understand your “enemy” and don’t feed into their process.  Use a “pattern interrupt” to get outside of the norm.  Break the cycle that gets you worked up and, occasionally, in trouble by hyper focusing on your duties.
Had he written me up for my actions what was he going to say?  “Justin is doing his job and won’t fight with me when I feel like being an ass.”  Or “Justin is mad at me because I interfere with his job duties on a regular basis.”  Take away the power the bully has and they become helpless. 
I’m not going to lie…I’ve had some vivid dreams since that instance where I took that shot in the office.  The first punch always feels so damn good in the dreams.  It always gets way out of hand after that and I would probably be writing this on toilet paper in my cell had I not had that moment of clarity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment